Home‎ > ‎2017 News‎ > ‎

31st July

posted 31 Jul 2017, 13:30 by Denis Floyd   [ updated 31 Jul 2017, 13:40 ]

Under 8’s: Our under 8’s had a team at the county hurling blitz in Dr. Morris Park last Friday evening. Well done to all the players who put in fantastic performances in winning all their matches v Cappawhite, Fethard & Durlas Óg.


Under 9’s & 10’s: We had a blitz last Saturday morning in Lacken Park. Clonlara brought two teams and Cappawhite brought one which meant we had 3 Newport teams. All the matches were very competitive and it was great to see so many people up at the Park. Thank you to Cappawhite and Clonlara for travelling. Well done to all our players and thank you to all the parents for coming in big numbers to support. Next game for U-9s is away to Cappawhite on Thursday night and there is an U9/10 blitz in Thurles on Sat 5th August

Under 12 Arrows played two games this week, winning on Tuesday evening against Ballina, but they lost their match on Friday evening. 


Under 14: Last week was a busy one, with 3 matches played. On Sunday, we travelled to Borrisoleigh where we were defeated 8.6 to 5.5 in a very tough game. On Wednesday, we played Ballina in Lacken Park and won on the score line 4.07 to 3.05. This result meant we came second in the group and now play Borrisokane in the quarter final in Lacken Park on Wednesday night August 2nd.
On Thursday night in the Longhouse Field, we played Moyne-Templetuohy in the Butler Cup where we were defeated 2.12 to 2.09 


Junior B Hurling: Well done to our Junior B’s who got the North championship off to a winning start with a victory over Borrisokane in Borrisokane last Saturday evening. Final score Tulach Sheasta 1-17 Borrisokane 1-10.

Senior: Newport played our neighbours Sean Treacys in the Division 3 League semi final in a wet and windy Kilcommon on Sunday morning. Newport played with the wind in the first half and points from Stephen O Connor, Pa Ryan and Colin Floyd put us 11 points to 5 up at half time. In the second half Sean Treacys threw everything at us and scored 3 pointed frees from Patrick Carey. Eamomn McCormack replied with 2 points to keep us ahead but Sean Ryan replied with a goal for Treacys to reduce the gap to a point. He then added a point to bring the game to extra time on a score line of 1.11 to 14 points. Newport played with the wind and Treacys scored first but super sub Vincent Moloney replied with a superb individual effort. This was followed by a superb finish by Martin Carey after he caught a high ball to put us up a goal. Mike Coffey (Red) added a point but Treacys replied with a point to leave a goal in it at half time of extra time. Treacys resumed the stronger and Darragh Kennedy raced through the Newport defence to score a goal to level the match. Traceys added 2 points but Newport never gave up and Cian Flanagan raced up the field and pointed to reduce the gap to 1. With time nearly up, Pa Ryan went on a great run and was fouled 30 yards from goal. Pa put the free over the bar to level the match and from the puck out Ref Peter Carroll blew the final whistle. Final score Newport 1.19 to Sean Tracy's 2.16

Team:  P.Hogan, Pa Hickey, C.Flanagan (1), A.Ryan, M Quigley, O. Floyd, C.Keating, K. Connolly, S O Connor (5), P O Sullivan, Pa Ryan (7, 5f), A.Moloney, E McCormack (2), M. Carey (1g), C.Floyd (2).
Subs: V.Moloney (1), M Coffey (1), C Koyce.

Cúl Camp: Only a few weeks left before our annual Cúl Camp, so make sure to register A.S.A.P.  https://www.kelloggsculcamps.gaa.ie/booking/